Okay, so I know I’m a little late to the baby ~ alien ~ craze but really I was early! I designed this little keychain last summer and haven’t had the time to write it up until now… I figure we could all use a little pick me up and what better than a free crochet pattern to lighten some spirits! If you are just stumbling upon my blog, head to my about me section to learn a little more about me 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
- Worsted weight (4) yarn in green (I used Loops & Threads Impeccable in the shade Grass, this can be found at Michaels)
- 3.5 mm crochet hook (E)
- 6mm Plastic safety eyes you could also use 8mm eyes, or embroider them!
- A small amount of poly-fil stuffing
- Black embroidery thread
- Yarn needle
- Ball keychain
- This free crochet pattern is made in continuous rounds, so do NOT join after each round
- The size of your keychain may vary depending on tension, yarn, amount of stuffing, etc.
- You may sell your finished keychains all I ask is that you credit Yaya’s Hook N Yarn as the pattern designer and tag me @yayashooknyarn in any pictures on Instagram or Facebook so I can see your finished keychains!
- If you need extra help with amigurumi I have created a video tutorial to accompany this pattern!
- sc – single crochet
- mr – magic ring/ magic circle
- inc – increase
- dec – decrease
- sl st – slip stitch
- hdc – half double crochet
- dc – double crochet
- R – Round
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * or ** – repeat whatever follows the * or **
- rep – repeat
R1: 6 sc in mr (6 sts)
R2: inc in each st around (12 sts)
R3: * sc, inc * rep around (18 sts)
R4: * 2 sc, inc* rep around (24 sts)
R5-9: sc in each st around (24 sts)
Insert plastic safety eyes between rounds 7 and 8 about 5 sts apart and use embroidery thread to embroider a little smile between the eyes on round 8, you could embroider a nose here instead but I like the look of the tiny smile.
R10: * 2 sc, dec* rep around (18 sts)
R11: * 1 sc, dec* rep around (12 sts)
At this point you need to stuff your baby alien head.
R12: dec in each st (6sts)
Fasten off and leave a tail to sew up the hole, weave in ends.
When sewing up the bottom, I go through the front loop of each stitch and then cinch the bottom closed and weave in ends.
Ears (make 2)
Ch 6, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc, hdc, dc in the next 2 sts (5 sts)
Fasten off and leave a tail to sew ears to head, weave in ends.
For the ears I sew them on about 3-4 stitches away from the eyes with the center of the ear being in line with the eyes. For the left ear, I sew it on so that it is upside down which I think gives this little guy a super cute look.
To attach the ball keychain I use a scrap piece of yarn to help me pull it through a gap between the stitches, then I attach the key ring and my baby alien keychain is complete!
Once you attach the keychain your baby alien is complete! If you enjoyed this pattern please let me know in the comments, and tag me on Instagram and Facebook in any finished alien pictures, of course you are allowed to sell any finished aliens but please credit Yaya’s Hook N Yarn as the pattern designer 🙂 If you prefer to look at a pdf pattern you can download this for free over on my Ravelry page. I also have created a video to show step-by-step how to create this alien if you need some extra guidance. If you’d like to be updated whenever I have a new free crochet pattern, blog post, or sale please sign up for my VIP email list!
You made it to the end!!! Woohoo! If you have made it this far and are still reading… we’re besties now 😉 Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read my blog post and follow along with my free crochet pattern!